I’m doing a book review ya’ll!!!
I’m so excited and so nervous! My first ever ARC! And my first book review! And my first time reading an ebook! Aaaaaaaah!! I’m growing up so quickly, aren’t you proud of me?
To be honest, this is all so extremely intimidating! How do you guys do it!?!?!?? And given the fact that my blog is still so small, I never thought I’d actually get approved for an ARC, but I really wanted to try and push my boundaries, so I hobbled on over to NetGalley and started applying! Imagine my shock when I was actually approved!
So here I am, reviewing Fat Girl on a Plane by Kelly Devos.
Wish me luck!
Cookie Vonn’s dreams include getting out of Phoenix and becoming the next great fashion designer. But in the world of fashion, being fat is a cardinal sin. It doesn’t help that she’s constantly compared to her supermodel mother—and named after a dessert.
Cookie scores a trip to New York to pitch her design portfolio, but her plans are put on standby when she’s declared too fat to fly. When she finally arrives, she finds she’s been replaced by her ultrathin rival. Cookie vows to lose weight, get out of the friend zone with her crush, and put her dreams back on track.
Cookie expected sunshine and rainbows, but nothing about her new life is turning out like she planned. When the fashion designer of the moment offers her what she’s always wanted—an opportunity to live and study in New York—she finds herself in a world full of people more interested in putting women down than dressing them up. Her designs make waves, but her real dream of creating great clothes for people of all sizes seems to grow more distant by the day.
Will she realize that she’s always had the power to make her own dreams come true?
- The author states in her Author’s Note that the premise of this book was based after one of her own real-life experiences, so definitely a true #OwnVoices experience. The emotions felt raw and real, almost like I was reading the diary of a close friend. Sometimes even the pages from my own diary. Not everything was perfect, but when it was relateable…damn. It was RELATEABLE.
- Cookie’s a fashion designer. A good one. And it seriously shows in the writing. I admit, even though I like fashion, I know very little in the way of designers and the name of specific stitches and the like, so at times I was a little lost when she was describing different garments. But even so, it really helped add to the authenticity of her voice, and I loved that!
- Cookie’s Grandma is AWESOME! And she felt like a real Grandma to-she watched Jeapordy, sewed dresses, and threw her granddaughter cheesy, cheap parties with streamers at the church. But most importantly, she knew exactly what she was talking about. Seriously. Love this woman. And we should all go hug our Grandmas.
- Yes, in a book all about a fat girl’s experience with being both fat and thin, we’re bound to get into some language revolving around food and numbers. This is to be expected. However, I feel I should mention that for anyone with even a little bit of food or weight-related triggers, just to be aware that it gets to be a little intense at times. Okay. Maybe not intense for most people. Not even most people with mild food issues. But I definitely started feeling a bit anxious about the whole thing after a while.
- Every conventionally good-looking girl is a Witch. I’ve run into my fair share of cruel and judgemental pretty thin girls. Trust me. I’m all too aware they exist and I don’t generally mind the trope of using them. But when EVERY thin, gorgeous girl is hateful and shallow? Yeah. That’s too much. Because on the flip side I also know a lot of super beautiful women who are equal parts kind, intelligent and authentic. And it’s okay to write about them too.
- I had a difficult time understanding Cookie’s personality. For about 70% of the time I totally jived with her, I understood when she was angry, sympathized when she sad or hurt or lashed out. She felt like a real person, messy but ultimately someone I wanted to get to know more. But then that other 30% of the time…I just couldn’t figure her out. She seemed to act so at odds with everything else about what she believed in or talked about and it all felt a little off.
- This definitely felt more like a New Adult book than Young Adult. Cookie’s 19, and already making huge steps in achieving her dreams as a fashion designer. That’s fantastic and all, but she seemed to fit quite well into the world of full-fledged adults, which at times made me forget that she was barely out of her teen years. I’m not saying teens can’t be mature, or don’t make decisions for their future careers, but at times it sometimes felt like a little bit too much, too fast. Of course, I know this is fiction, and without these events, there’d be no story, so maybe I’m just being overly picky?
- The relationships were uncomfortable. I suppose, in some aspects, that was the point? But after a while, it really hit home how unhealthy they all were. Yes, even from Cookie’s end of things.
- The ending felt rushed. Don’t get me wrong, generally speaking, I liked the ending. I liked the message and the character growth and the slight twist. But I just wanted MORE of it, you know? It almost felt a little unrealistic because things sort of flipped a little too quickly and I think it all might have been a little more powerful if it was drawn out more.
All in all, a quirky, unique book with an interesting message. If you’re looking for a cute, fluffy romance then look elsewhere. I’m not a big fan of contemporaries, and I think the fact that is all felt a little more raw is what drew me to it so much.
Published: June 5th, 2018
So how did I do??? I’m still super freaking out about posting an actual book review, but it’s also super exciting too! This was a lot of fun and even though I’m still not sure I’ll ever dive into the world of Super Serious Book Reviewing, I think I’d like to continue contributing at my own pace and throw my own two cents into the pool every once in a while.
Thanks for reading!
Have you heard of Fat Girl on a Plane? Do you think you might check it out? DID YOU KNOW THAT TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!????