Serious question: Where did February go?
Let’s be real here people, we all knew February was going to fly by. It always does. And yet somehow, why am I so shocked by this? It’s like even though you KNOW February is a freakishly short month, you go about your days somehow expecting it to feel exactly like every other normal month, and then suddenly it’s the 27th and you’re running around in circles wondering where this swirling vortex of time came from. Seriously. Every year, man. EVERY YEAR.
Okay. Enough of that. Let’s get to the monthly torture, shall we? Time to check in and see just how much I managed to progress (or in some cases, fall even further down the pit of despair) over these last 30 days. Ready? Let’s go.
Fairytale Edits: 93 pages
Okay, in another lifetime this would have me jumping off the ceiling in utter, fiendish excitement. But not today, my dudes. Not today.
So clearly I didn’t make my goal for February, which was to complete all of the edits for Fairytale. But you know what, I’m just going to blame it on the time vortex, because how can anyone possibly expect me to get all my work done when half my month is missing? Objectively I KNOW the bulk of the work is done. All of the big, bulky edits are complete (finally omg), and I’ve only got about 40 pages left of intensive line edits. If I buckle down, I can get them done in a week. Then a final pass through for lighter edits-grammar and typos. Another week. Boom. Done.
So what happened this month?
- I went to Disneyland again! I know, my millionth trip in the past 12 months, BUT I DON’T CARE. Don’t judge me. We’re letting our yearly passes expire this year so this will be our last trip in a long while. It’s so sad.
- Due to said Disney trip I turned into a literal, walking zombie as my dear husband seems to forget about the laws of humanity when we’re on vacation and my life turns into a Barenaked Ladies song (‘Who needs sleep? Well you’re never gonna get it!)
- I started pilates! Ever since I quit martial arts a year ago I’ve been struggling to find a new exercise outlet I don’t shudder at the thought of doing every day. This has not been easy because I hate pretty much all forms of movement that make me feel like I’m about to die. But thanks to the sweet and encouraging Cassey Ho, I feel like a light went off in my brain. And that light is called Blogilates (which yes, you can find on Youtube, and yes, it’s all free). I’m not being paid to say any of this. I’m just an obsessed fan. Obsessed. Go watch her videos. Now. Go.
- I bought too many books. I don’t know what’s happening to me. I used to be VERY controlled when it came to my book buying habits. But then I remembered thrift stores. And we have a pretty cute second-hand bookstore downtown…help me.
- I could seriously use some bunny snuggles. Just saying.
Truthfully, I’m a little more stressed out about my yearly goal than I thought I would be. I know the year is still just beginning, but I’m a bit more behind than I would like. This is my first time ever editing a manuscript so thoroughly and in-depth, and I’m realizing I vastly underestimated just how much time it was going to require.
I knew I had a lot of things on my plate for 2018, but I felt pretty confident given by what I managed to accomplish last year. But I didn’t take into account that I was going to be doing NEW things, and I had no idea how that was going to effect me. Turns out, it’s effecting me a lot. I don’t like back-tracking on my word, and I’m still going to try my very best, but I’m preparing myself to make some adjustments later on down the road. As much as I want to reach my goals, I don’t want to run myself into the ground in the process.
Alright people. Let’s do this thing.